Today, it is a balmy 31 degrees celsius out, with humidity through the roof. So what do I decide to do? Cram 2 workouts into my day! Yup, I’m crazy like that.
At lunch, I did that 10 move booty blaster workout I talked about previously (read that post here). My work gym is not the best when it comes to air-conditioning and air flow, so I was dripping sweat on my mat before I even hit the half way mark! But, this is a great lunch workout because I was able to do 2 rounds of all 10 exercises in about 40 min, leaving me plenty of time for a nice cool shower before returning to work.
After work, I did week 8 day 3 of my couch to 10k run program. I’ve talked about this before, there are many free apps like this out there, I just happened to choose the one by ZenLabs and find it easy, progressive and fun to follow. I really enjoy that it talks over my music to tell me when to run or walk or start my cool down. Again, minimal thinking on my part, I can just go out and run and follow the prompts. If you are interested, you can find the link to download this app here. Today’s program Included a 5 min brisk walk warm up, a 30 min jog, and a 5 min cool down walk.
It was a hot and humid run, but the breeze was a life saver! I told myself when I started out that I would just do a nice, fun run. It’s so hot, I may not run as well as I have been in the cooler weather recently. Sometimes, we need that to remember the joy of doing it! No goals, just running for the sake of running! I had a great time, I even found myself smiling at the breeze during my cool down walk. It wasn’t until I got back home that I realized I had gone 5.31 Km! And looking at my splits, even in this heat, I picked up my pace from the last run! Clearly, my body was enjoying the relaxed run as well!
During my run, there are a few things I did to help with the heat.
- I stuck to the shady side of the street as often as possible. I love the sun, but realistically, the heat zaps your energy very quickly and robs you of your hydration. I knew I was running at a very hot point in the day, so shade it had to be.
- I had also been drinking lots of fluids throughout the day both to make up for what I lost during my lunch workout, and also in preparation for the run.
- I always wear polarized, UVA/UVB protect sunglasses to protect my eyes from the sun as well. A lighter shade allows me to wear them even in cloudy conditions when, even if the sun is hidden, UV rays can still be strong. The pair I run with are Oakley’s, they are super light, and stay put.
- When it comes to clothes, I opted for shorts, as well as a light, loose, moisture wicking tank top. I love this style of tank top for hot runs, because it feels like you are not wearing anything, it’s so breathable and light, but it really does pull the sweat away so you don’t feel it constantly running down your back. The tank I ran in today is Lululemon, the shorts are Asics, and the bra is Adidas.
- When I got back, I drank 1 L of water over the next hour (with no pee yet, so clearly, I needed it!). Oh, I mentioned water already? Well, staying hydrated is probably the most important thing you can do in hot, humid weather like today. So drink up!
Now that I’m done (and my body has returned to normal temperature, swinging in my hammock, in the shade and breeze) I am beyond proud of myself. I could have complained about the heat. Or chosen to listen to that little nagging voice that said ‘it’s hot out, that’s a great excuse not to run’. Instead, I got up, got out, and got this body moving!
What have you done today that you are proud of?